One Step At A Time

    |
Happy St. Patrick's Day Everybody! The most amazing thing happened yesterday. My friend and I were on our way to dinner, and as we were driving past our old high school, we see a rainbow! When I was little, I always wanted my parents to drive me to the end of one to see if there was really a pot of gold and a leprechaun at the end. I STILL think about doing that sometimes...except now-- I have a better sense of reality. So, I guess I would be doing it just for kicks. I would also spend hours sitting in the grass in my backyard looking for four leaf clovers. Do you guys ever think about the strange things you did when you were little?

Speaking of the past-- my intention for this post was to write about how I found my own style. In high school, the only brands I would wear were Hollister, and Abercrombie. I'm not kidding either. I literally refused to wear anything else. I suppose a lot of people go through this phase. I'm not in any way saying that these brands are not stylish, or bad. It's just...I wore them for the wrong reasons. I wanted to fit in, and be liked. Even though I had quite a bit of friends, and I was involved with extracurriculars, I still felt the need to "look the part", you could say. What ever that "part" may have been, I still have no idea. Looking back, I don't regret anything because you can only learn from your past. It's just, I feel that I wasn't being true to myself.

If I were to give advice to any high school girl or guy, I would say, wear what you want. Wear what makes you feel most confident, regardless of what your peers think is popular. By popular, I mean, what you think you should wear to be seen as "cool", especially if the real you doesn't radiate through. There is a difference between a fashion trend, and wearing something you don't thoroughly enjoy to fit in.

After I got to college, it took a lot of time, but I slowly slipped into my own style. I started to explore with a lot of different brands like F21, Target, and the B.P at Nordstrom. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the fashion Hollister and Abercrombie provides. I still buy my jeans from Abercrombie-- because they fit me so well. However, I feel much more confident now and most importantly, I feel like the real me. So-- that is my mini success story in a nutshell. I hope it can help anyone who struggled/is struggling with the same thing. Just remember, it takes time to find your style and don't be afraid to experiment with different things.

Here is an embarrasing picture of me school shopping with a friend from a couple years ago. Yes, we actually stopped to take pictures in front of Hollister. It's interesting to look at how I've change throughout the years.

Here is a more recent picture of my friend and I having fun with some matching dresses and faux fur vests at Target.

2 comments

Fashion Chalet said...

My bloglovin' icon is on the side is that the follow me button you mean? :)

Thanks for the comment. Polish is Tart Deco by Essie from Spring 2010.


xx

SWEATshirtDRESSshirt said...

i was trying to find a way to "blogspot" follow you...but i think i figured it out! :)

p.s, thanks for the nailpolish name. i will definitely be checking that out!