How-to: At-Home Pedicure

    |

Although I enjoy going out for an occasional pedicure, I prefer to do my own nails. It saves me money, and I always get to use the exact color/brand I want. Over the years, I have discovered red to be my all time favorite winter nailpolish, while hot pink stands as my signature summer color. I wanted to share with you lovely bloggers the steps I use to achieve your very own at-home pedicure.

What you will need:
-a place to soak your feet in warm water for ~10 minutes (I usually use my bathroom sink)
-nail clippers and a cuticle cutter (you can find these tools for cheap at a dollar store, Target, Wal-Mart, etc)
-nailpolish of choice (below, I have the color 'Lavender' from F21)

optional:
-cotton balls/pads to remove pre-existing nailpolish
-sugar scrub, to slough away dead skin (see below for home-made recipes)
-nail file
-top coat (I usually don't use base coats or top coats. Especially base coats, because they tend to make your nailpolish peel faster.)

Steps:
1. Soak feet in warm water for ~10 minutes. If you would like to exfoliate, you can use a foot scrub. For home-made recipes, visit this website.
2. Cut nails to desired length. I prefer mine to be short.
3. Using a cuticle cutter (you can also use a 'cuticle nipper' or a 'cuticle pusher'), cut away the cuticle on each nail. Be careful not to cut too close to your actual skin. The cuticle cutter I have pictured below also doubles as a great tool to clean the surface of the edges of your toenails.
4. Apply 2 coats of color to nails that are clean and dry. I usually skip the top coat because the thinner your nailpolish is, the longer it lasts. However, you don't want to add too thin of a coat, because in my opinion, the more opaque nailpolish appears on your nails, the more put-together it looks. I decided to add a top coat this time for glossiness. See picture below for finished product.

-If you accidentally get polish onto the skin that is close to your newly painted nail, take a q-tip that has been dipped in remover, and gently rub away the polish.

Good luck!



6 comments

Miranda said...

Aww that purple is so cute and a perfect color for the end of summer.
http://washingtondcfashion.blogspot.com/

Curves ahead makeup said...

great pedi !!!
toes look perfect
new follow hope you can follow too !!

Signe said...

Looks great, love the color :)

Cara said...

cute cute cute toes, girlfran!

hot pink is also my go-to summer color, and a more cranberry-ish red is my winter and fall color.
definitely want to try this lavender though!
xoxox

Allergic to Vanilla said...

love that color on your cute toes!! I prefer to do my own nails too, more control, & less $$

xo Carlina
AllergicToVanilla.com

Hanna said...

Gorgeous pics! And the nailpolish is so fab!

http://style-in-sight.blogspot.com