Inside-Out Braided Up-Do

    |
Oh my gosh. You guys. I got a new camera for Christmas! This was something I kind-or-sort-of expected, but I'm still super excited.

This is "Victora", my mom's mannequin head :)

I didn't want to overwhelm everyone with all of the random pictures I took, so I decided to do a hair tutorial instead. One thing a lot of people don't know about me is that before college, I used to do hair... all the time. This is kind of embarrassing but I played with Barbies until I was 8, because I loved doing hair so much.

Anyway, this hairstyle requires you to french braid inside out, which I learned to do earlier this year. For those who are a little rusty on this technique or would like to learn how to do it, here is a really great video to watch.

But if you are already an expert, you may want to skip to these steps on how to obtain the "Inside-Out Braided Up-Do":
  1. Comb back hair and spritz in a small amount of hairspray. If you have layered or thick hair, you  may want to add a little more.
  2. Grab a small chunk of hair from the left side of your head, just above your ear, and begin braiding. Some tips: Be sure to guide your braid in a horizontal direction, because you eventually want the tail to end by your right ear. Also, this hairstyle is similar to the classic french braid in that you add in hair. Except, this time, you should only be adding to the top side of the braid (or the "right" side if you are tilting your head to see the braid vertically).
  3. Keep on braiding until you run out of hair and secure the end with an elastic.
  4. Optional: loosen the braid by gently tugging at its' sides for a more natural look.
  5. Take the end of your braid and loop it under the right side of the nape of your neck to create a braided bun. Secure with a bobby pin.
  6. Optional: leave the style as it is, or add a flower for pizazz.


Good luck, and feel free to leave any questions as a comment below! :) Merry Christmas!

14 comments

Pearls&Politics said...

Oh my gosh, I did not know your mom has a manequin head! haha Just for trying out hairdos?? That is so funny, but such a good idea! I definitely love this braid, I want to try it out!! I am a little confused on how to do the bun part though--

Great post girl!!

Closet Hound said...

This hairstyle looks gorgeous!! I wish my hair were long enough for me to do this.

Congrats on getting your new camera ;)

Merry Christmas!
xo Sherrie

Justine said...

Merry Christmas!

I love this hair do. I wish my hair wasn't layered...


Just Better Together is having a giveaway!

the friendliest flower said...

thats so cute! i wish my hair was long enough to braid it like that

genevieve, sandbox romance said...

Congrats on the new camera, and happy holidays girlie! That hairstyle is beautiful; if only I knew how to do anything other than simple braids!

AllyM said...

Great hair idea! I posted your blog on my blog. I hope you don't mind! I'm now assuming we are blogging friends hahaha, I hope you dont mind that either. I'm glad you got a new camera!!

aki! said...

I had no idea you could do hair tutorials! That's awesome. Please share more... I have to admit this one went completely over my head. Haha.

AllyM said...

I added the followers application. I'm following you and I'm completely STOKED your going to follow me!

ShopGirlXOXO said...

I love it! I cant wait to grow out my hair to try it

Alex said...

I'm so happy for you that you got a new camera! So exciting! I love that braid, too. I just figured out how to do a fishtail braid... maybe I'll work on figuring this one out next! :]

2Anchor said...

This is a great style, especially for holiday parties! Super cute :)
Happy Holidays.

http://2anchor.blogspot.com

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

I can't wait to try this!!!!!

fashion consultant training said...

I like the braided style. Brings out the simplicity and yet seductive look on a woman by highlighting her neck.

Aakash Gupta said...

Warm Greetings!



Today, I visit your website and after reading your blog i realize that it is very informative. I'm highly impressed to see the comprehensive resources being offered by your site.


Thanks and Regards




Braiding Machine