That's A First

    |
Some of you may recall the "act of boldness" I pulled late last week (read about it here). Well, for those who are interested, here is an update! Aside from a little miscommunication about our meeting place (which was totally my fault!), the afternoon couldn't have gone more smoothly! We had hot chocolate and tea in the up-stairs of a cute little cafe and ended up telling each other random things about our lives for over 3 1/2 hours... with no awkward silences! It's true, time flies when you're having a good time on Cloud 9. Oh, and he wants to hang out again! This is the happiest I've been in a long time. OK-- enough of being mushy.


The main point of this post is:

What to Do/What Not to Do On A First Date

If you guys have anything to contribute/alter to the DO and DON'T lists, feel free to leave it as a comment. I'll edit the post and include your blog link next to your contribution! UPDATE: Wow! I am really impressed with all of your guys' tips. Thank you for all of the wisdom. Keep up the great work! :)



-Dress appropriately for the occasion and wear comfortable shoes. (via Justine of Just Better Together)

-Be a good listener as well as contributor.

-Have an actual opinion, and don't just agree with everything he/she says. This helps keep the conversation going. (via Kelsey of Life As We Know It)

-Ask a lot of questions about the other person, but don't appear as being fake-curious. Be genuine about it.

-Bring money (if you can!).

-Be open to suggestions for what you will do on your date.

-Have confidence, but remember that there is a difference between being confident and conceited. (via Makall of Your Daily Dose)

-Be honest, but mysterious. (via Stephanie of Stephanie and Such)

-Play it safe. If you are being set up on a blind date, you may want to opt for meeting the other person at the destination. Tell a friend/family member where you are going, and call them when you get home.

-Be courteous and remember to say thank you at the end of the date.

-Be prepared! I usually bring a purse, and besides the obvious, I like to keep on hand the following: gum/mints, a small mirror, chapstick, an umbrella (only because I live in Seattle), oil-blotting sheets, and hand sanitizer.

-Let him take the lead. It's what guys like to do. (via Stephanie)

-Most importantly: relax and have a good time! Remember to be yourself. If it is meant to be, your date will like you for who you are.

-After the date: be sure to give the other person space. It is OK to send the other person a text telling them how good of a time you had, but keep it short and sweet.

-End a phone call/text/date first. It keeps them wanting more! (via Stephanie)

-Keep living your life (so what if he doesn't call you one day. You were busy anyway, right?) (via Stephanie)



-Talk about your problems.

-Talk about your past, in relation to previous relationships. That is, unless he/she asks. (via Megan + Justin)

-Expect that they are going to pay for what ever you guys are doing.

-Try to be someone you're not.

-Move quickly, and discuss topics like marriage, and moving in together.

-Wear too much makeup and/or perfume.

-Over-analyze every move he/she makes, because they obviously like you enough to be hanging out with you.

-Show too much skin. First dates are always about getting to know each other's PERSONALITY. You want to look cute, of course, but try your best to be conservative.

-Lie about your interests.

-Criticize the other person.

-When it comes to food and drink, DON'T: drink too much alcohol, order anything fried/garlicky/super expensive (if the other person is paying for you), or be afraid to eat.

-Text/call the other person right after you part. If you want to send a little text saying something about how great of a time you had, send it a few hours after the date, or even the next day. However, some people may enjoy receiving texts right after the date. So, use your own judgement for this one. (via Laurita P of Adorably Delicious LP)

-Open up too fast/talk to much. (via Stephanie)

-Give him all the details of your life. (via Stephanie)

-As for this last point, I'm kind of on the fence about it. I find that every time I say the phrase, "we should do this again", the guy never calls me back! I don't know if it's some strange coincidence, or because I'm being too forward, but every time I say this phrase, things never end well. So, if it's a risk you want to take, then great. If it's not, I would wait to arrange a second date later down the not-too-distant road when you guys contact each other again.

image via WeHeartIt

13 comments

Kelsey said...

I just think it is important to have an actual opinion and not just agree with everything he says. It helps keep the convo going :)

kelseyannesmith.blogspot.com

p.s. thank you for your sweet comment on my blog@@@

KristiMcMurry said...

TOTALLY agree about all of these, especially about giving the other person space. I can't really think of anything to add...I think you covered it all well :)

Girly Notes said...

very sweeeeeet

http://girlynote.blogspot.com

Justine said...

I agree with all of these! Wear comfortable shoes! :)

Just Better Together
come check out the prom shoe giveaway!

Laurita P said...

i'm so glad it went well! your tips are pretty good, but i think if you have a good time, nothing is wrong with sending a text to tell the person how much you enjoyed yourself. i would rather get that text right away than a day later. just me.

http://adorablydeliciouslp.blogspot.com/

Yours Truly said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE THIS!
So happy for you!! Keep us posted! New relationships are so fun :) Have you ever read the book "The Rules"? It seriously lays it down. It's awesome!

Some Do's and Dont's I have pulled from it:

DO:
-Always end a phone call, text, date first. Keeps them wanting more!
-Be honest, but mysterious
-Do let him take the lead. It's what guys like to do.
-Keep living your life (so what if he doesn't call you one day. You were busy anyway. Right? hehe)

DON'T:
-Open up to fast/talk to much
-Talk about past boys
-Expect him to change
-Give him all the details of your life

Seriously, buy it off amazon, you would love it!
Congrats!

XOXO
Stephanie&Such

AllyM said...

i'm so glad you keeping us posted because SERIOUSLY i need to live through you. I just found out my "mini crush" is roommates with my roommates boyfriend--I don't know how to be bold though:)

xoxo
ally

Alyssa May Edwards said...

Awww yay! This news makes me so happy!! I hope you guys hangout again soon and those are great tips!


xoxo,
Alyssa

makall said...

DO:

be confident, ladies!!

(remember, there's a huge difference between being confident and being conceited)

confidence is sexy. (according to my husband!)

xo

everydaydose.blogspot.com

Megan and Justin said...

dont:
talk about past boyfriends unless he asks

do:
be yourself and relax! :)

justinandmegs.blogspot.com

p.s. I haven't commented on here before but I just came across your blog and I love it!

Silver Strands said...

Ahhh - yes! I'll pass this on to my kids who are dating age :)

Fash Boulevard said...

Hi. I'm a stylist in LA and I'm totally obsessed with your blog. I'd love if you visited my new blog for multiple posts a day on all things fashion. I just moved to California after graduating back in south with a degree in visual merchandiser. In attempt to get my heel in the door, I've launched a site all about celebrity fashion and the trends that create it. Check out what Vanessa H was wearing when I ran into her last week and find out what her go-to fash item is. I'd love the support. I'm following you, I hope you'll do the same. Thanks so much.

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

And don't forget to follow on Twitter for all the latest celebrity fashion news, from an LA stylist.

http://twitter.com/FashBoulevard

AllyM said...

heyy girl! I gave you this blogging award. check it out and pass it on!

xoxo
ally