It Could Still Be Simple

    |


Erin, of Erin's Lucky Stars recently posted this YouTube video of a guy proposing to his girlfriend at Disneyland. I couldn't help but to pass it on to you all. It got me thinking about all of my friends who have gotten engaged this year, and how much we have all grown up.

When I was a kid, various elements of media (movies, books, etc.) gave me the notion that my life would unfold in the following manner: I would complete all my years of primary and secondary education, go to a big college where I would have the time of my life for 4 years, get married after getting my degree, and somehow, instantly become successful. Granted, it works out that way for a handful of people. For the rest of us, it's a little more complicated than that.

I don't know. I feel like I'm at a point in my life where I'm still trying to figure things out. Where do I want to be in 5 years? Who do I want to be in 5 years? I'm not ready to be married yet, and am not even close to establishing a solid career. As I think about where some of my friends from high school are now, it makes me want to slow down time. My BFF from 6th grade, T, recently got engaged, my other BFF, B, is working off his student loans at his 2nd dream job (Starbucks!), N is taking the time to explore her options as a post-grad, and R is currently setting herself up to rule the world (you go, girl!).

I suppose it's not that time moves fast, it's the fact that I may not have paid enough attention to what was going on around me. From now on, I'm making a goal to enjoy more of the little things in life, like quiet evenings with my roommates, getting to know the people in my cohort, and my ever-changing "favorite song" of Taylor Swift's. Because before I know it, I'm going to be the proud owner of 50 cats, and spending my days knitting sweaters for my grandkids... in a giant rocking chair. Although that sounds really great, I'm just not ready for it yet.

4 comments

Closet Hound said...

Life moves on really fast. This year has been an absolute whirlwind for me, too. I don't know. Maybe people hit a certain age, or time period, when everyone around them starts to change. But I'm really sure that you've changed, too, and that your friends, family, and acquaintances look at you and also say something akin to how fast time seems to pass.

The best way to handle it, like you said, is to learn to appreciate the small things.

And hey! We can both be loud and proud owners of 50 cats :) I'm still working on all their names.

- Sharon
http://closethound.blogspot.com/

Justine said...

It's amazing how life moves so quickly and along the way, our perception of the future changes along the way.

This was a sweet video!

Just Better Together

AllyM said...

I just cried. for real.

ps. come to the blogger party. we can take intragram photos and be real friends. and we can have a sleep over at kelseys.

ok?

genevieve said...

This is such a lovely post, and it hit all the right notes for me. Today I was sitting at my desk freaking out about a test in two days, study abroad in three months, and graduate school in two years. I couldn't help but ask myself why I was so worried about things so far away, when I don't even know what I want now, much less two years from now. Here's to enjoying the little things, today.

I swore this would never ever happen, but you've totally helped turn me into a Tswift fan!