Nail Tools 101

    |

When giving yourself an at-home manicure, deciding on what tools to use can be overwhelming. That said, I decided to put together a breakdown of several things I've seen/heard of. If you're curious as to what I use, see tools marked with an asterisk. 

1. Foot file: For those of you who are like me and frequently wear shoes that don't require socks (e.g., ballet flats), especially in the summer months, using one of these on the skin of your heels can help with the roughness. Other things that work for you feet: the Ped Egg, or a pumice stone.

2. Cuticle cutter*: This is probably my favorite way to cut away my cuticles. I recently started using this again, after my BFF, R, told me an honest statement about my cuticles (Haha!). Tip: for best results, use this tool after getting out of the shower, or after you have soaked your nails in warm water for 5+ minutes.

3. Toenail cutter*: Used to cut, well... toenails. I don't like owning too many pair of clippers, so I use these for my fingernails too.

4. Fingernail cutter: Smaller than toenail clippers, these are designed to cut fingernails.

5. Cuticle nipper: Used to remove cuticles and hangnails. Similar to #2, for best results, use this tool after your nails/cuticles have been exposed to warm water for 5+ minutes. Click here for a tutorial on how to use a cuticle nipper.

6. Metal nail file*: From experience, I've found that of all the types of nail files that are out there, this type works the best. Tip: when filing your nails, only file in one direction, as going back and fourth can make the tip of your nails thin and weak.

7. Orange stick: These also come in a metal form, and are used to push back your cuticles and/or to scrape away nail polish on the edges of your nails, while giving yourself a manicure. If you choose to push back your cuticles with this tool, use a cuticle nipper to cut off the excess skin.

8. Nail scrubber: This is used to clean the surface of your nails.

Not pictured: 4-way nail buffer block*: When you want that shine, but don't feel like painting your nails, use this tool. These blocks usually come with 4 sides: shape, smooth, buff, and shine. The process is simple, and takes no more than 5 minutes.

14 comments

Mugdha said...

Hmm, I didn't know that about filing both directions! Definitely will be keeping that in mind next time. Thanks!

UnA said...

Aww you r so sweet.

Thanks for visiting by,

I got the studs from
www.studsandspikes.com

I love your blog. Followed you.

Would you like to follow me back?

<3 Una

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

Great stuff. I need like...all of them.

caro.line said...

Thank you dear ! I read some posts on your blog and I love it ! Great, just great !:)

Karola said...

hello dear! :)
thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! :)
thanks for sharing this - so useful! I really like your blog! :)
wanna follow each other?

hugs!
Karola
www.karolasway.blogspot.com

aki! said...

Given how much I do my nails, I had no idea what 2 and 5 were. Helpful... and I'll have to keep an eye out.

my mini bag said...

Ohh. Love this. Definitely need one as I try to save money and do my own nails.

http://myminibag.blogspot.com

Audrey Leighton said...

Some good & useful tips, thank you for sharing this!
xx

Be Frassy

Coffee Cream and the Caffeine said...

I love getting my nail done :)

www.coffeecreamandthecaffeine.blogspot.com

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Yep,I totally agree with all of these!

Simone said...

Great post! Need a nail scrubber asap!

Kisses from Austria,
Simone

aki! said...

Just wanted to let you know that I tagged you for the Versatile Blogger Award too!

Kelly said...

I can never trim my cuticles as well as they can at nail salons. I am always amazed at their precision!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

These all look great. There are some that I don't have but after seeing this know that I should get!