DIY Watercolor Greeting Cards

    |


A few weeks ago, I purchased a cheap watercolor set. You know, the ones your kindergarten teacher would whip out when he/she had a project for the class to paint. It was supposed to be for the kids I work with, but one afternoon, out of boredom, I decided to play around with it myself.

After painting several rainbow blobs, and changing the water a few times, I found myself making greeting cards.

WHAT I USED: a few sheets of printer paper (8"x11"), a watercolor set (I got mine at Target for $2-$3), water, a paper towel, and a pen.

And, instead of directions (since they are so straightforward), here are some tips:
-You can virtually make a card of any size, but the best size I found could be created by folding a piece of printer paper into 4. The extra layer of paper hides any paint that may have bled through.

-Speaking of paint bleeding, if you do decide to make a smaller-sized card, be sure to paint your picture when the paper is completely unfolded. This will prevent any transfer that may occur between layers.

-The less water you use, the darker the paint will be. Don't be afraid to play around with different amounts of water to create different gradients.

-Mix colors that are in the same temperature family together to create a pretty effect.



5 comments

Courtney B said...

Oh my goodness.... how CUTE! Love this idea!!

Eleanor said...

THESE ARE SO CUTE! I always feel like such a little kid when i make homemade cards, not that that stops me or anything! these ones look so good tho, v professional!! i need to go invest in some watercolours!
i didnt know you were into art tho, those flowers are great!! you're talented girl! <3
http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com

Arabella said...

They are beautiful :)

www.arabellag.com

Mugdha said...

I did a bunch of these as invitations for my birthday party once and those turned out great too! Love yours!

Alyssa May Edwards said...

This is amazing!!!!! I need to remember this the next time I need a card:) It is so meaningful when a card is handmade :)

xoxo,
Alyssa