Pins and Needles

    |
image via thrilld

Something I've been thinking about getting for a while is a cartilage piercing. Despite the unique look, I've heard a lot of bad things (e.g., infections, pain, etc.) about these types of piercings, which is why I am hesitant. After doing some research, I learned a lot of useful tips that are slowly helping me reconsider. I thought some of you (who may also be on the fence) would benefit in knowing:
  • I'll begin with the obvious: don't use cheap jewelry unless you know for a fact that your ears will be able to handle it. A type of metal that never fails me is sterling silver (check out this website for some good options).
  • Be sure to go to a reputable piercer.
  • Clean your new piercings often.
  • Even though you are eager to change into new earrings, don't rush the healing process. The wait will be worth it.
  • Turn your earring(s) so that the piercing does not heal around the post.
  • Know when to identify when your body is rejecting the piercing. In this case, you will need to take it out for good. Some signs to look out for: an infection, extreme swelling+pain, and long-term redness.

6 comments

Eleanor said...

looove cartilage piercings! that picture makes it look amazing! i really want a new piercing... on the side of my ear but like a little down from cartilage? i dont know what its called! but yeah let us know how you get on! :)
xxx
http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

Lalli said...

you look very nice, and your advises are very helpful, but I still afraid of....
kisses

http://lallistaste.blogspot.com/

Closet Hound said...

I'm too much of a chicken to get my cartilage pierced. I couldn't even get my lobes pierced without crying. But I do love cartilage earrings! They really stand out to me

xo Sherrie
Closet Hound

Lisa said...

Great advice! I've always wanted a cartilage piercing but I've always been scared to do it!

-Lisa
The Lovely Memoir

Alyssa May Edwards said...

I have had my cartilage pierced since my junior year of high school and I love it! I honestly just keep a small stud or sterling loop in it to prevent infection. And I just like dainty jewelry in my ears anyway. I could probably take it out and not really notice, because I forget I have it sometimes. But I definitely love it and it never bothers me or anything. If you get it done and end up not liking it, the good thing is, the hole is so tiny and on the top of your ear no one would ever see. I hope I gave you a little advice in my rambling:)

xoxo,
Alyssa

Mimi said...

i think it looks cool, but i'm way too scared of pain to get one, haha! ;) let us know when you do decide to get one though. :)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
Spirit Ink Tattoos Giveaway
Too Much Soul Giveaway