image via thrilld
Something I've been thinking about getting for a while is a cartilage piercing. Despite the unique look, I've heard a lot of bad things (e.g., infections, pain, etc.) about these types of piercings, which is why I am hesitant. After doing some research, I learned a lot of useful tips that are slowly helping me reconsider. I thought some of you (who may also be on the fence) would benefit in knowing:
- I'll begin with the obvious: don't use cheap jewelry unless you know for a fact that your ears will be able to handle it. A type of metal that never fails me is sterling silver (check out this website for some good options).
- Be sure to go to a reputable piercer.
- Clean your new piercings often.
- Even though you are eager to change into new earrings, don't rush the healing process. The wait will be worth it.
- Turn your earring(s) so that the piercing does not heal around the post.
- Know when to identify when your body is rejecting the piercing. In this case, you will need to take it out for good. Some signs to look out for: an infection, extreme swelling+pain, and long-term redness.