Advice From a Germ-a-phobe

    |

One of my worst fears is getting sick, especially when I have a lot to do. Whenever one of my family members, friends, classmates, or clients are sick, I make sure to keep my distance, wash my hands with soap and water before I eat or touch my face, and rinse out any dishes or silverware I use with hot water. A little excessive? Maybe.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm paranoid, but a lot of the time, I find that washing my hands isn't good enough to prevent myself from catching a cold. Here is some advice I've accumulated over the years that helps me stay healthy:
  • Surrounded by people with colds/the flu? Check out Echinacea, a natural herb that reduces inflammation in the body, which can lead to diminishing the first signs of a cold. You can find it in specific teas, or capsules at your local health food store, or supplement outlet.
  • Did you know that about 70% of our immune system is located in our digestive tract? If you've ever accidentally shared food or drink with someone who has a cold, probiotics can be your new best friend. Probiotics, a good type of bacteria, help maintain a strong immune system. They can be found in probiotic capsules, or more naturally, yogurt, pickles, and dark chocolate.
  • Want to keep it simple? Drink lots of water to help your body flush the sickness out of your system.
  • Already feeling sick? Take a hot shower, relax, and get to bed early. If all you have is the common cold/flu, I guarantee you will feel at least a little bit better come morning.


Sincerely,
A Germ-a-phobe

12 comments

Sabrina said...

You should try Emergen-C too. It's so great!
Sabrina at www.liptintsandleopardprints.blogspot.com

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

Hmmmm...I would like to try Enchinea, the natural herb. WIth kids, I'm sick all the time.
Girlie Blog Seattle | Casual Clothes for Less

Amanda said...

you had me at dark chocolate.
I will make sure to eat it at every meal (for cold prevention purposes of course). But for real, living in Asia means tons of germs and a low grade cold that never seems to go away. I really do appreciate the tips!

Rachel Lawson said...

Those are good ones!! Don't forget hand washing. Since I have a baby that's a BIG one. Also, vitamin C is always hopeful too! I love your blog! :)

xo
Rachel
http://www.etsy.com/shop/picklesandchapstick
http://picklesandchapstick.blogspot.com/

Alyssa May Edwards said...

Drinking tons of water when I'm sick is the hardest part for me!!! I need to do it!

xoxo,
Alyssa

sincerelytrulyscrumptious.com

Le living and co. said...

Great tips! When I spot a college at work who is sick, I usually give them the " don't you dare come near me" look. It works :)

ylenia said...

Hey darling nice blog you have here, I like your posts! Hope you will have time to visit mine and let me know your opinion about it, maybe we could follow each other if you like my posts =)
XOXO
Ylenia

Isa said...

I've been sick for 5 weeks and running and nothing I try seems to help! I think it's the climate, though, SP seriously has like 5 types of weather a day.

http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

Ahh this is so helpful I can't even tell you! Thank you! xo

http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

Caroline said...

some great tips! last year, living in a dorm... this was such a nightmare. but i found drinking LOTS and LOTS of water + some EmergenC usually solves mild cases :)

K said...

Vitamin D is also amazing! If you start taking it at the first sign of a cold you can shorten your cold so it is only TWO days long, it's amazing! I take the gummie ones they sell at Target because they're more fun!

GlamorousGirl said...

yummy!

http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/