Boot Care 101

    |
solesister

These days, a good pair of boots are hard to come by. After my beloved Sterling cognac boots fell apart, I spent months searching for a pair of new ones. The Sterling ones had been discontinued, and every other boot I tried on was one shy away from perfect. That is, until I came across the Frye boots you see above, that I got for $100 (that's right, I said $100!). They were marked down to $200 because of Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale, and on top of that, I had a $100 gift card from G's parents. A total steal, right?

In an effort to preserve these boots (aka rare gems) as much as I could, I headed to my two most trusted shoe gurus: my mom, and Nordstrom. Here is what they had to say about preserving leather boots:
  • After you break your boots in, take them to a cobbler to get re-soled. This is crucial, because if you don't, especially with Frye boots (because their soles are made of leather), it'll be like "dragging a leather handbag across concrete, and after a while, you're bound to get holes." Ouch. This service usually costs about $20, takes about a week, and is totally worth it.
  • Every now and then, it is also important to clean the leather of your boots with a leather lotion. You can find a good one at Nordstrom through this link. When you click on the link, it'll most likely say the product is sold out. Don't worry, they always have these in the store.
  • If your boots get wet, refrain from pat drying them with any sort of towel or napkin. The best thing to do is let them air dry.
  • And last but not least, as mentioned below, to preserve the shape of your boots, when you aren't wearing them, keep them propped with rolled up magazines, or swimming noodles cut to size.
solesister2

14 comments

Monica Rose {finer feelings} said...

I believe we have the exact same Frye boots - they are the best and I wear them all the time. Definitely taking them to a cobbler this week as I'd never heard of doing this. Thanks for the tips!
finer feelings

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GlamorousGirl said...

that's actually great idea!

http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

floating thru fields said...

WOW! that is an awesome score I have been searching for boots for months now. I use the rolled up magazine trick too :)

Alyssa May Edwards said...

These are gorgeous!!! I am going to be using some of these tips:)

xoxo,
Alyssa

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Justine said...

These boots are beautiful!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy V said...

Good tips!! Thank you :)

Nancy V said...

Good tips!! Thank you

Kelly said...

I so badly need to do this. I also need to have them rezippered. I say that like I know that cobblers can redo the zipper, but I'm not so sure! Here's hoping...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
april said...

I am wondering about something to put on them to keep stains away?