DIY Ombre Nails

    |
ombrenails

Ombre nails are a trend I've been wanting to try for a while. Considering my love for red nail polish, and my desire to give black a second chance (I say "second chance" because it's never turned out right for me), I decided to do a black to red gradient. The results exceeded my expectations, and have even become one of my favorite looks.

TOOLS: two or more colors of nail polish you would like to fade together, a clear topcoat, and a piece of sponge.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Paint a base color on to your nails. This will be the color that appears on the bottom of the gradient.
2. Take your sponge and paint on a stripe of the second color you chose on to it. This will be the color that appears at the top of your gradient. If you chose to add a third color, simply add two stripes to the sponge.
3. Dab the sponge (with the nail polish on it) on to your nails, with most of the paint being concentrated at the tips of your nails. Don't panic if it doesn't look right yet. The next step will perfect the look.
4. Add a clear topcoat to each nail. This will help blend the colors together.

Still confused? Check out this video for an alternate explanation on how to do ombre nails.

IMG_2887

ombrenails2
red: 'Mr. Right Now' via Sephora by OPI (looks a lot lighter on camera)

4 comments

Justine said...

your nail designs are amazing! I can't for the life of me even keep them unchipped for 24 hours.

Eleanor said...

i've always wondered how people did this!!!
xxx
http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

Elsa de Diego said...

Love that ombre effect! I wish I could do it! :) Muah! Have a great week and thanks so much for your lovely comment! (U live in a beautiful city. Seattle reminds me of my hometown, Gijon in Spain) Muah!

aki! said...

I do the same thing you do, though with a makeup sponge. I wonder if that makes a difference at all.