DIY Pom Pom Bouquet (using low-cost to free materials!)

    |
diy pom pom bouquet, diy yarn pom poms, pinterest crafts, fake flowers, diy decor, cheap decorations for your office, handmade flowers, tree branch crafts, crafts using macrame rope

It took me a while to decide on the theme I wanted for my office, but from the beginning I was sure of one thing. Whatever I decided to do, it was going to be extremely cheap.

I've been seeing pom pom bouquets on Pinterest for a while, and decided to try my hand at them. At first, I was set on multi-colored pom poms, but eventually found a better, and cheaper option. Don't laugh... but I had two pieces of macrame rope saved from a really nice shopping bag I threw out a few months back (I wish I could remember the store!). I unraveled them, and ended up with a bunch of really nice, thick string. Perfect for this project.

diy pom pom bouquet, diy yarn pom poms, pinterest crafts, fake flowers, diy decor, cheap decorations for your office, handmade flowers, tree branch crafts, crafts using macrame rope

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
Tree branches, yarn or thick string, a hot glue gun, and scissors.

INSTRUCTIONS
Making the Poms
1. Prep your string in one of the following two ways: fold 2-4 feet of string in half over and over again -or- wrap the same amount of string around 2-3 fingers until you run out. Either way, you want to end up with a 2 inch segment.
2. Tie a separate string around the middle of your segment to prevent it from unraveling.
3. Cut the ends of your segment so that there aren't any "loops" (refer to the last photo in this post).
4. If you used string similar to mine, this would be the time to further unravel it, if needed. I found combing through the string to be helpful. If you used yarn, no further unraveling is necessary.
5. Fluff!

The Rest
Once you have your poms, glue them on to your branches with hot glue.

Tip: for a different look than what I did here, use short, straight branches without twigs sticking out of them, and only glue your poms to the tip of each branch. See example here.

diy pom pom bouquet, diy yarn pom poms, pinterest crafts, fake flowers, diy decor, cheap decorations for your office, handmade flowers, tree branch crafts, crafts using macrame rope

diy pom pom bouquet, diy yarn pom poms, pinterest crafts, fake flowers, diy decor, cheap decorations for your office, handmade flowers, tree branch crafts, crafts using macrame rope

diy pom pom bouquet, diy yarn pom poms, pinterest crafts, fake flowers, diy decor, cheap decorations for your office, handmade flowers, tree branch crafts, crafts using macrame rope

2 comments

floating thru fields said...

i love this :)
it's so adorable and would make great fake flowers for a cheerful centerpiece or pop of color depending on the color of yarn you use

Susy Valencia said...

It's real cute. I think I could do this for my table in a bigger scale! Cheap and creative indeed!