New Hobby: Calligraphy

    |
calligraphy, gouache calligraphy ink, dr ph martin's copperplate gold, oblique calligraphy pen

About 2-3 weeks ago, I decided to pick up a new hobby: calligraphy. I've been wanting to try it for a while, but was a little intimidated by the equipment. With so many different brands, and types of pens out there, I had no idea where to start. After doing extensive research, I finally decided on the following things to build my "starter kit" (side note: my goal with these was to get the biggest bang for my buck):

- Dr. Ph. Martin's Copperplate Gold via Hobby Lobby $8.99*
- Reeve's 24-Pack Gouache via Amazon $12.17
- Higgins Black Waterproof Calligraphy Ink via Hobby Lobby $4.49 (I actually hear the 'Eternal' one is better, but unfortunately, my Hobby Lobby didn't carry it.)
- 15ml Screw Top Jars via Hobby Lobby $3.99*

In the short time I've been practicing, I've found calligraphy to be really enjoyable, and even therapeutic. I already can't wait to practice again. If you're looking to get into calligraphy yourself, and need some direction, feel free to leave a comment with any questions, or shoot me an email at sweatshirtdressshirt@yahoo.com. I'd love to help out any fellow newbies!

*A word of advice: don't ever buy anything full-priced from Hobby Lobby. Always use a coupon. You can find them on their website, or on Retail Me Not.

calligraphy, gouache calligraphy ink, dr ph martin's copperplate gold, oblique calligraphy pen

calligraphy, gouache calligraphy ink, dr ph martin's copperplate gold, oblique calligraphy pen

calligraphy, gouache calligraphy ink, dr ph martin's copperplate gold, oblique calligraphy pen

4 comments

Mugdha G said...

I'm so impressed with how quickly you've gotten so good! All your stuff looks beautiful!

Justine said...

You're making huge progress for a newbie. I am intimidated to start calligraphy. It looks so fancy and too technical as I probably won't be able to get the smooth and curvy lines in. I also wish I had some spare time as well. (Insert Le sigh because of summer classes.) I can't wait to see what you come up with. You're so creative and artistic!

aka Bailey said...

What a perfect hobby for someone such as yourself with such exquisite visual and creative taste!

mandi brady said...

alright, you convinced me - I'm taking the plunge!